A Personal Account of Stem Cell Donation



We hear a lot these days about stem cell research, but many of us are unaware of what exactly stem cells are and what can be done with them. There are several types of stem cells including adult stem cells and embryonic stem cells. Adult stem cells reside throughout the human body within tissue, blood and organs; they are plentiful and readily available. Adult stem cells refers to the stage or maturity of the stem cell. They are also found in the tissues of the umbilical cord (after live birth), spinal cord, fat, bone marrow, dental pulp, nasal cavity, brain, peripheral blood, blood vessels, skeletal muscle, skin, cornea, digestive system, retina, liver, and pancreas.

Peripheral stem cell transplantation is the process of removing the stem cells from one person and donating them to a recipient- in my case it was my brother. In most cases donors are siblings since tissue type is most identical to the patient's own. After it had been determined that I was a perfect match for my brother, I had a physical and endless blood work. I passed my tests and then it was on to phase one.

This involved six days of receiving neupogen shots which stimulate the release of stem cells from the bone marrow into my blood so they can be harvested for my brother. It's important during this period to drink plenty of water. I had decided to go to the hospital each day for the shots, but some people opt to inject themselves at home. The shots sting a bit and after the first several days, mild bone aches began- mostly in my hip and sternum. It was nothing that an occasional tylenol couldn't remedy.

On the fifth day, I reported to the hospital first thing in the morning and was prepped for the apheresis or the harvesting of my stem cells. I was connected to a centrifuge machine: one line brought the blood out from one arm into the machine where the blood was separated and the stem cells were collected into a bag. My blood, minus the stem cells, then returned to me in another arm. During the procedure, an anticoagulant was going through my system to prevent clotting and calcium was also given. Aside from the discomfort of being in bed and unable to move around for 6 or 7 hours, it was not painful or unpleasant.

Unfortunately, the first harvest did not capture enough stem cells for my brother- this is determined by patient weight, so I returned to the hospital the following morning to repeat the procedure. I had been worried about side effects from the Neupogen as well as the apheresis, but the only side effect was several days of fatigue.

My advice to anyone contemplating a peripheral stem cell procedure is to learn as much as you can in advance. Ask questions of the doctors and nurses who are caring for your loved one and who are working with you. The procedure is much less painful than bone marrow aspiration. Most of us are squeamish when it comes to the subject of blood, but the more you understand what is going on, the less nervous you will be.


For Further Reading,
 

Popular Posts

Popular Posts On EAB

Man Behind This Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites