Team in Training - What's it All About?


I skipped my workout yesterday, but I had a good excuse. Seriously, I did. I skipped my workout, because I went to a Team in Training information session.
For those of you that don't know what that is, Team in Training is one of the largest training groups in the nation. They are dedicated to helping the Lymphoma and Leukemia society find a cure for blood cancers. Something that I did not know, is that the Team in Training (TNT) has donated close to $975 million to cancer research since its inception 20 years ago. In the central Texas area alone, last year TNT raised close to $1 million dollars. They're looking to raise more than that this year.
I went to the meeting, to find out more about the organization, and to find out how the whole thing works. I'm not entirely sure that I want to do the whole fundraising thing, but I wanted to know what the organization is all about. I don't know anyone with cancer (knock on wood) nor do I even understand what is involved with fundraising. I know what it takes to train for and run a marathon, the training does not concern me at all. Finding time to train, does concern me.
Here it is in a nutshell: What you, as an individual do, is join a local TNT group in your city, and fundraise. In exchange for your efforts, TNT will train you to run a marathon, a half marathon, or complete a triathlon, or whatever other event is a good fit for them and you. Here in Austin, we have a choice of events between the Phoenix Rock'n Roll marathon and the AT&T Austin Marathon.
I've never been one for giving anything to anyone. The whole concept of giving something back is foreign to me. In fact, I'm greedy and and hate sharing anything. I'm specially averse to the whole idea of fundraising, but there's something about this organization that seems different.
For one, I believe in their cause.
I don't understand cancer, and I really don't understand why the governments of the world and large corporations don't just fund anything that has to do with cancer research and finding a cure. I don't understand why it's up to us, the little people of the world, to do the big things that need to be done to make the world a better place. That's neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, I just don't understand why individuals are left holding the bag.
Secondly, I feel like I should do something.
From a personal stand point, I am not in a great position financially. I cannot contribute any money to the cause. I simply can't help financially at this point in time.
I'm not in good shape physically either. I just measured my BMI (Body Mass Index) and I'm classified as morbidly obese. I need to do something to turn my health around. I need to get into better shape, and I feel like I need the motivation that joining this group will provide me with.
I think, that joining Team in Training will help me reach my goals of becoming more physically fit, as well as give me the opportunity to help out an organization that is worthy of help. It's a win-win all around. So, Lord willing, on August 21, I'll officially join the group and start training and fund raising for the AT&T Austin Marathon in February. May I count on your support?
Rafael is planning on completing his first trail ultra marathon before the year 2010 is out. He plans on running several shorter distance races between now and then and he also wants to lose 100 lbs of his weight along the way to accomplishing that goal.


For Further Reading,
 

Popular Posts

Popular Posts On EAB

Man Behind This Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites